Friday, September 2, 2011

The First Day Back: A Mother's Account

We were ready. The first day of school was upon us. The night before, I had all paperwork filled out and placed perfectly in folders, zipped up in backpacks, which were lined up next to the front door. First day of school outfits were ironed and folded up neatly on the end of beds with shoes down on the floor. New lunchboxes and water bottles were ready to go on the counter, lunch requests taken, and just needed to be prepared the next morning. Kids were bathed, lotioned, and smelling fresh and clean. Hair was blowdryed, nails were clipped, and the girls fingers and toes were painted. Kids were up at 6:45 to get ready for school.


So, how come I still manage to be late?!


It's a sad thing, this poor time management problem of mine. It seems like I am always tardy, delayed, unpunctual, behind, or held up. I really have tried to change it. I have. I'd like to think I'm getting better. My husband would beg to differ.



Either way, because of our time crunch that morning, I didn't get quite the photo shoot I was hoping for, so these few, quick snapshots will have to do!

Ahhhh, school time. Such an exciting day. Daphne started kindergarten and I was just a little bit teary. She was so excited and so ready. Jonah and Laylah were excited to see their friends and get back into the normal routine.


There they are.... off to the bus. I waited and waved as the bus drove away, and watched until I couldn't see the it anymore. There go my babies, for another school year. Just me and Bear and M at home now. I'm afraid Bear finds it a bit boring, but I think he'll get used to it quickly. I missed all of the kids, but especially kept thinking about how Daphne was doing all day long. That is a long day for a little 5 year old.


I waited anxiously in the sweltering heat for the bus to drop my kids off that afternoon. As they stepped off, wreathed in red faces and smiles, they ran to me for hugs.



That is happiness.



They all had terrific day's and stories to tell. They told of who they sat by at lunch and what they did at recess; who is in their class and how much they like their teachers.



A new school year, off to a successful start. Now, if I could only get them out the door on time each day, we should be golden.



Happy School Year to you!


4 comments:

Shana Smith said...

Sarah, I really believe that you are the Best Mom Ever! I am trying to steal some of your Amazing Mom tips in hopes that I can be just a tad like you! Really you are one cute Momma and you can tell that your kiddos think the world of you! Gorgeous kids on the first day of school, they look so excited... Hooray!

Shana Smith said...

PS.. Where are Jonah's red shoes from? I am in love:)

Sarah said...

Ahhh, thank you so much Shana! Really, it means a lot to me, because I am most definitely just an ordinary mom like everyone else :) And Jonah's shoes are from Crazy8. Love that shop!

amberkei said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets choked up about school. But having them so excited truly does help! I can't believe you have three gone all day. Weird! It's going to be just you at home in no time.
Hang in there, Mama!