Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Suess

Most anyone with kids would know that today is Dr. Suess' Birthday. Am I happy about this? Sure, why not. I mean, it promotes reading and goes along with Read Across America Day. It's fun, the kids love it. They get to dress up in red and white and celebrate it at school. After school, we're going to a party at the library where they will actually get to meet thee Cat in the Hat.Here's the only problem with it..... I have never liked Dr. Suess. His books seriously bug. I hate rhyming, and his books are just so dang long. Plus, they make no sense! And use words that don't even exist! What, I ask you, does that teach our children?!

We have several Dr. Suess books (No, not that I purchased. They were all gifted) and they are the kids' favorites! Especially Bear. I think this is his favorite book of all time:

This book is so annoying! And ridiculously stupid! That darn cat is just such a troublemaker! And yet, Bear loves it. He chooses this book nearly every day as his naptime book. I hate it even more because it is so long. I mean, by the time naps roll around, I am so ready for it. I don't want to spend 15 minutes reading this book. Most of the time, I do it without complaint. I will even do it in a silly voice. Once in awhile, I hide the book before I ask him to go pick one to read. Sometimes I even ask him to choose another book (he usually doesn't oblige).

One particular day, I was definitely not in the mood, and when I asked Bear to pick a book to read before his nap, he yelled, "All right, The Cat In The Hat Comes Back!" and started running down the stairs to get it. I called down after him, "Bear, please not that book, will you just choose a different one today? Pretty please?" And he yelled back up, "Okay mom!"

Phew! Dodged that bullet. A couple minutes later, he came up with this book:

Of course he did. Because, of all the kids books we have downstairs on the bookshelf (probably about 100 or so), he had to pick that one. Of course.

Next time, I'll be more specific :)

What's your favorite children's book?

1 comment:

Ashlie said...

I like most of them BUT Fox in Socks...hate that one.