Sunday, September 8, 2013

One Last Hurrah


I know, summer is over. I have talked it to death and reminisced and lamented and whined and complained. But alas, I have one last fun post to share. Because of the weather, we didn't get to do our two last fun things we had planned on before school started. So, we took the first Friday off of school of course! My dad had invited me, my brothers, and our families to go up and ride the Heber Creeper (which is how I will always remember it, but I think it's called the Heber Valley Railroad now). I remember going boating at Deer Creek as a child and listening for the train whistle and watching the Heber Creeper chug along the mountainside. I always wanted to have a ride on the train and I finally did! It was so much fun and I would recommend it to anyone.

The ride was about an hour and a half. It was an old western themed ride and besides the beautiful scenery we were able to enjoy live entertainment (country western songs), roping tricks, refreshments, and a bandit even came on the train looking for gold!






"Put yer hands up, you varmins!"

He found the gold box and made the conductor help him take it off the train. Too bad for him, there was only a rubber chicken inside. Oh my, the kids ate it up. They loved every second of the wild bandit trying to steal the gold.


We arrived at our destination and then turned around to ride back to the train depot.


 It was so much fun. Magnus loved it the most I think and could not stop talking about his ride on a real train.

After we were done on the train ride, my dad took my family boating at Deer Creek since our plans hadn't worked out the week before. I adore boating. It is one of my favorite things to do. We just had fun tubing, swimming, relaxing, eating, jumping off the boat, dancing, singing and chatting. It was such a perfect way to end the summer.











Of course, everyone crashed on the way home. We picked up a pizza for dinner and no one could even keep their eyes open to eat. They all just headed to bed and slept in til 9 the next morning. That is definitely a sign of a fabulous and fun day.

On Monday, since we had school off for Labor Day, we headed to Seven Peaks one last time. It was cloudy and I think that must have scared some people away because there was hardly anyone there and we barely had to wait in line for anything. It was so much fun. We had such a blast together with our little family. I didn't take any photos, but it made me glad that we were able to check every last fun thing off of our summer bucket list. 

Okay, for reals.... this is it. Goodbye summer!

No comments: