Monday, August 3, 2009

One Giant, Long Catch-Up

Well, we've had a lot going on in a short time, so instead of doing a bunch of little posts, I decided to just do one giant post. Good luck if you decide to read this, it's looooooong!!!!



Hole In The House


As many of you know, our home is ancient (okay, probably 50 years old) I LOVE my little house. We have put SO much love and work and sweat into it. This summer we are putting in new windows. It's been a LOT of work (for my dad and Andy... heehee) We have this one giant window in the front of the house, and I've never really liked it, so we replaced it with a smaller one, and we're building up the wall. It's not quite finished. I'll post the finished product when it is. These are just some pics of the day my dad removed it and built the wall so the new window would fit. Thanks dad, you're the greatest!!




Happy Pioneer Day




For the 24th of July we had a nice, lazy, relaxing, fun day. We went swimming at my grandmas pool; my mom, dad, and sis Kaylie joined us. We had a lot of fun playing diving games, motorboat, london bridges, and also trying out Jonah's new remote control boat that he got for his birthday (it's pretty fun!)

We went home and had a little barbeque, and then we headed over to my parents for 4-wheeler rides around the neighborhood, homemade ice cream and cookies, and fireworks. All of my kids have always loved fireworks....until this year. Baron had his back to the fireworks when my dad lit the first one, and when it went off, he literally started shrieking, shaking, screaming, and crying. It was pretty funny (and a little sad :) He pretty much leaped into my arms and wouldn't budge, except to go into dad's arms. Eventually I took him inside because I could tell he really wasn't enjoying it.
Sad Boy



Sacremento, CA: Roth Family Reunion

Andrew's Mom's side of the family (the Roth's) had planned a reunion because his grandparents just got home from a mission in Germany. We decided very last minute that we wanted to go. So we called up Andy's aunt and uncle on his Dad's side of the family (who also live there- both Andy's parents grew up there and moved to Utah after they were married and had a few kids.... just a little side note :) and asked if they would mind having us stay with them. They have 7 kids, and the youngest 2 are Laylah and Jonah's ages. All of the older kids are SO great with my younger ones. They are great cousins and we sure love them. Whenever we have gotten together with them, our kids have adored each other. This time was no exception. Whenever we weren't doing something with the Roth side of the family, we were chillin at the Collette's and having a blast.
The drive to Sacremento... we made it in just under 11 hours. The kids were great. They slept, watched movies, and played their Leapsters. Here's my bad news (well, for me anyway :) After I took this picture of Baron, I lost my camera (it was under the seat in my car) so I have no pictures until the day before we left when Andy found it. Thus, the boring part. Storytime with no pictures!

When we got to Sacremento Wednesday night, we had a big family dinner with everyone to celebrate Andy's grandpa's birthday. It was so fun to see everyone, especially some relatives that I hadn't seen since Andy's and my wedding. I love Andy's family, they are all so much fun and great people. On Thursday, Andy took all of the kids to a movie with the Collette fam that we were staying with while I went shopping with the Roth ladies. It was SO nice to not have any kids and shop our hearts (and wallets) out. Such a fun day. Later we had another big family dinner for Aunt Katie. More food and fun. Andy's family sure knows how to cook. On Friday was the actual "reunion". We went to Folsom Lake and just sat on the beach, built sand castles, played in the water, and tubed and played on the wave runner. We of course had tons more yummy food, sat and talked, and I read a whole book. I love the beach if only for that reason. My kids will let me read uninteruppted! It was such a fun day. On Saturday we had some down time. The Roth's decided to go to the Jelly Belly factory, but we (meaning me, Andy and our kids) decided to just stay at the Collette's and let the kids play with their cousins. Also, me and Aunt Brenda did some more shopping, and I found a ton of cute back to school clothes for the kids. That evening we met up with the Roth's one last time at Leatherby's (a family fav!) for dinner and ice cream. It was fun to see everyone one last time and say our goodbyes. Andy's grandparents had a last, big, family dinner on Sunday at their house, but we went to church on Sunday with the Collette's and ate a quick dinner before heading home. We had to get home because of an appointment for Laylah (see below). The pictures below are from Saturday and Sunday.... playing at the Collette's and Leatherby's with the Roths (I'm still so mad I missed taking pictures of half our trip! Oh well.... it was so much fun to read, right? ;)
Okay, so across the street from the Collette's is this huge park with a big hill. They have this old wheelchair that they love to play in and Andy and Uncle Bret were wheeling them down this hill. It was hilarious. They tricked Daphne into going and her face is priceless. She didn't like it much!






Leatherby's with the Roth's. It took three pictures to fit everyone in, and I still don't think I got everyone who was there. Andy's family is huge!


These last few pictures are at the Collette's before we left. Our kids already miss their cousins!


The two studs with their gorgeous sidekicks (haha)


We left so late that we didn't get home until about 6 AM. The kids were great all the way home.... because they slept. It was nice and quiet.


Laylah's Surgury


I took the kids to the dentist a few weeks ago (no cavities... yay!) and Dr. Jason thought it was time for Laylah to have her frenum cut because she has lost both of her front teeth. It is extra gums that grow between the front teeth causing them to have a gap. It's genetic, and I had it when I was little (and so did all of my sisters) and also had to have minor surgury to correct it. (The procedure is called a frenectomy, and I'm sure I spelled that wrong) Anyway, I was so exhausted from our trip that Andy volunteered to take her... plus all that kind of stuff totally grosses me out. He said it was so funny. They gave her laughing gas and she was hysterical and kept snorting. Anyway, the dentist said she did great and that she'll be sore for a couple days and then as her teeth grow in they should grow together instead of having the huge gap she's always had.
Before


After... all sewn up with her stitches


Look at that poor swollen mouth!



If you made it through this entire post, good job.... it was a doosy!

8 comments:

Becca and Brian said...

what a busy few weeks you have had. Have you crashed yet? Layla is so brave to have that surgery and not freak out. She looks very calm in all the pics.

Mrs.Spy said...

We wondered what was going on with your front window! Good to know it was intentional and not done by a rock or neighbor kid's baseball. :)

When Matt and I first got married I dragged his youngest 2 daughters to get frenectomies- it helped his younger girl the most because she had it done before her big teeth grew in and had settled in place.
I hope Layla enjoyed lots of icecream and soft foods. What a trooper!

Shana Smith said...

Fun family reunion, and a nice excuse to get out of Utah for a while! Poor little girl, I know all too well about mouth surgeries and swollen faces. Not too fun, but she look great!

Travis and Cristan said...

Yea for busy summers! I love that you guys had a great time in Cali! I love little spontaneous trip like that.
Poor Lay's mouth. I hope she starts feeling better soon.
And thanks again for the hair color/cut last night. I am sure it looks adorable I haven't done it yet because I am too lazy and tired from yesterday- I'll let you know how it goes-Thanks againg!

Matt and Joanna said...

Aren't old houses the best?!? They have so much more personality even despite all of their problems! Does everyone tell you that Laylah looks just like you? What a cute, brave little girl.

Tommy and Teisha said...

Looks like you have been busy... but it looks like you have had some fun (okay maybe not the surgery or remodelling).

By the way I love your picture at the top it is so cute.

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

I want your life, i swear you guys are alays doing such fun things!

The A.Wahls said...

I totally remember you having that frenectomy thing when you were little. I don't know why I would but I do? Seems like I remember talking about it on your trampoline or something. Anyway...looks like a fun and busy summer at your place!