Tuesday, April 17, 2012

And So We Cut It

Laylah had really long hair. I used to cut it pretty short every year or so because it grew so fast and the snarls would get out of control. The last time I cut off a substantial amount was around the time she started kindergarten. She cried a lot because she didn't want me to cut it, and I felt really bad. I promised her that I wouldn't cut it again until she made the choice. But, I made her promise to help take better care of it, and not cry every time I brushed it. She agreed, so it grew. And grew. And grew. We did a trim every few months, put in a few layers here and there, but for the most part, it grew for about 3 1/2 years straight.

I have been bugging her the last 6 months or so to let me cut it. Don't get me wrong, her hair is gorgeous. But, it is incredibly thick and heavy. I was running out of ways to style it because by the time she would get home from school, it would have fallen out of whatever style I had done that morning, and was usually a snarly mess. We were getting to the point where we did a lot of pigtails, ponytails, braids, and buns.

About a week ago, she approached me about cutting it and donating it to Locks of Love. I was all of the sudden unsure if I really wanted her to cut it, funny enough! It is so pretty, and she gets so many compliments on her fun hair-do's, and I really enjoy doing it, playing with it, and styling it. I made her wait a few days and think about it to make sure she was really sure. She decided she was, and voila!

We did a slight A-line and cut-off about 12 inches. So far she loves it, and she thinks it's fun to see everyone's shocked faces when she sees them for the first time. I'm hoping she doesn't regret it, and she thinks it's funny to think that by the time she's 12, it just might be as long as it was when we cut it.

No comments: