Saturday, July 16, 2016

I Graduated!

 Remember how I started back to school just over 3 years ago (June of 2013, to be exact)? And how I was starting from scratch, because I went to Beauty School, not regular college, so I literally had no schooling under my belt? I went to Salt Lake Community College because they are so inexpensive and they have great classes and small class sizes. It was perfect for a returning-to-school-mom like myself. 

Well, guess what?!?!??!! 

I graduated, that's what!
 And I really didn't think it was such a big deal (because I still have so far to go) until I saw that diploma come in the mail and I actually got a little teray-eyed when I opened up the envelope and stared at that paper that represented all of that hard work I had done at this challenging time in my life. It made me so proud of ME. 

I sat and thought about the last three years and all that had transpired and I posted this on Instagram and Facebook:
 Can I show you what came in the mail?! My Associate's Degree. This little piece of paper may have come extremely easy to some (ahem... my sis-in-law Terra who earned hers while still in high school...) and may not seem like a big deal to others, but for me it was three years of part-time limping along while feeling like I would never finish. It was long nights studying while over dosing on coke (the drink, not the drug, ha!) to stay awake. It was juggling five children, all of their activities, and making sure they all knew they came first. It was going out with my husband on Saturday nights to ensure our relationship was nurtured, and then coming home in time to finish an online assignment and turn it in before midnight. It was 7 semesters of school, back to back (including summers) to help me finish faster, only taking time off of one semester in the middle to help my youngest child battle brain cancer, and jumping right back in after his scans were clean. It was doing it all while working part time, and then full time to help with income we desperately needed. It was sticking with it when my husband lost his job and all i wanted to do was give up. It was keeping it together when it was so hard that I had to hire a tutor and meet with him weekly. I did it to show my kids that they can do hard things and accomplish their dreams. I did it to show them that it is a GREAT idea to go to school while they're young. I did it to show them that education is important and filling your mind with knowledge is something that no one can ever take from you. So, yeah, while this little paper might not seem like a big deal to some, it's a HUGE deal to me, especially the part where I did it with a 3.4 GPA. I'm excited to continue my education in the fall at the U of U and SO thankful for the love, help, and support of my family and friends. Couldn't have gotten this little paper without you. xo


 While I still have a ways to go, I am on track. I am on track for finishing something big and working towards something I am extremely passionate and excited about. I am nervous and excited to start back to school in just over a month. This summer has been the BEST summer ever so far and cannot wait to see what other adventures we can manage. But when school starts up again, I will be ready.

Next up... Bachelor's Degree!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Way to go! That is so awesome., I am impressed with how much you accomplish for sure