Sunday, March 10, 2013

Slowly But Surely

I just had to post this morning. I have officially hit my 30 pound mark in my weight loss AND I have lost 30 inches all over my body. It has taken 9 months. This is a huge accomplishment to me! I have been working my bum off... Literally. Actually, something else that has been shrinking dramatically is my... ahem... chest area, if you know what I mean. My mom bought me a new bra last year, and it is probably two sizes too big now. I need a new one! This makes me so happy, as I have never been a fan of... you know.... largely endowed chest areas (I don't want to type it because then I'll get a million spam hits, so, ya know :)

On top of that, my half-marathon training is going so well. The only problem I have encountered is my right leg has terrible shin splints. I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Some days it is so bad, it hurts to just walk down the stairs. Anyway, I figured out that I have run 105 miles total since I started training back in January. I am just shocked at how far I've come. Running has become much easier for me, and much more enjoyable than it used to be. I also really enjoy the fact that my sister Kaylie and I run together. We have some great conversations, and it makes the time fly by.

I know this is terrible picture quality. It's me and Kaylie, getting ready to run in 25 degree weather, while it was snowing. Hardcore, I tell you :)

So, here's a picture Baron snapped of me the other day, wearing some jeans I bought about 4 years ago (my first pair of skinnies) that I haven't been able to wear for the past 3. It makes me feel so good to be able to see the change in myself and not to see a stranger looking back at me with a wider, rounder face. I will have to post a "before" picture one of these days, but that will be tricky because I rarely ever allowed pictures to be taken of me. In fact, if one of my kids happened to snap one while playing with my phone or camera, I would promptly delete it. I'll look around and see if I can find one.


Alright, and I have to confess. In my last fitness post, I said I wasn't going to have sugar after my birthday for the next 30 days. Well, I kind of forgot about Valentine's Day, and also the fact that I would be going on vacation to a place with some of the yummiest, sugariest treats there are. I know it's gross, but I have a confession.... I LOVE cotton candy. Love it. So, I decided I would start back to my no sugar thing the day after we got back from our trip. I was careful throughout the rest of February, but I did eat treats occasionally. However, the day after we got back, it's been back to no sugar/treats. I've been going 7 days and I feel great.

Anyway, just wanted to check-in. Because I'm proud of myself! 19 pounds to go....


10 comments:

Matt and Joanna said...

I think you look fantastic! Way to go. I thought you looked great in your family disneyland picture. You are inspiring me to get my bum back in gear and start exercising again. I also love that you are blogging again. I forgot how much I enjoy blogging, especially to have a record of what's going on in our family. I need/want to start blogging again as well.

Tara and David said...

Sarah you look amazing!! But you have always been amazing. Lets get together again soon!!

Karen said...

Way to go Sarah! You look amazing! I too LOVE sugar and I'm totally impressed by your will power! As for the shin splints, go to SL Running Co (700 E and 2400 S is my favorite location!) and ask them about it. They can tell you about kinesiology tape that helps while you're running. My sister uses it and it helps! Be careful or they will turn into stress fractures and you'll have to wear plastic legs like Terri did in high school! I'm excited for you and your half!

Dave and Kristin Dirkmaat said...

Great job Sara!!! We are on the same journey! I lost 45 pounds last Summer and it felt so good! I have had a hard time eating good since loosing that much because I go to a comfy spot and am now trying to kick back into gear! Wish you lived by me because I love to run and am doing Insanity each morning! I did SLC half last year and it felt so good! We who have lots of kiddies know how much determination this takes and you are doing so great!!! You look amazing and nothing can stop you!!! Oh yeah-my friend who ran the half too, used some compression socks and I guess they are amazing!

Emily H said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You look so great and sounds like you're feeling so great, inside and out!!! Losing weight is THE hardest thing to do. It takes forever and is sooo frustrating!

I am really really so happy for you!

Ashlie said...

You look fantastic Sarah!!! Congratulations!

amberkei said...

Wow! You look awesome! Thank you for posting and sharing. I'm so excited for you and love all the pep talks I can give myself after reading what you have to say.
Thank you!

Sarah said...

Thank you all for your kind words, advice, and encouragement! It really means a lot to me :)

Anonymous said...

Even though we have only met a couple of times, I follow your blog and LOVE it. just wanted you to know you are an inspiration to me and I will be running my first half marathon because of you. I am 61 years old.

Sarah said...

That is incredible!! Way to go! I'm so glad you enjoy my little space here, thank you :)