Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Happy Happy Birthday To You From Me!

Well, Baron had a birthday and he turned 5 years old. The older my younger kids get, the weirder it seems that I am old enough to have all of these little children, who actually aren't so little anymore, and I wonder when their real mom is going to come in and take over, and tell me that I did a good job babysitting for the last 10 years...
 
So yes! Baron's 5th birthday. It was great, and so much fun because he was so very excited about it and looked forward to it for months. We started out the day with his breakfast of choice: crepes, strawberries, hashbrowns, sausage, and chocolate milk. He got to open one gift (A tin of Pokemon Cards.... he was so excited) and then we had to quickly get ready for the day because we had a baptism and baby blessing to go to. I was worried that Bear might be a bit put out by having to spend part of his birthday this way, but he got to see all of his cousins and play with them, so he was A-O-K with it.

 
We had plans to go see The Crood's together as a family before his family birthday party, but we got home too late, so we didn't have time (Don't worry, I finally took him.... just yesterday, in fact! He gives the movie two thumbs up!). We had his birthday dinner (chicken roll-ups with gravy, broccoli, apples, salad and lemonade.)
 
We decorated for a par-tay, and waited for grandparents to arrive. Baron was very lucky, because this is the first birthday ever of one of my kids where every single grandparent was present (well, the ones that are alive, that is :) Andy's grandparents live out of town, but they were here visiting for the family baptism and blessing, so they were able to come to the party!

 




 He received so many fun things. Andy and I gave him a red razor scooter, some new clothes and flip flops, a wii game, and a kite. He got some Skylanders from Gma Claudia and Papa Bry, A book and money from Gma and Gpa Collette, new clothes from Great Gma Darlene, and money from Great Gma Marge, Great Gma Roth, and Great Gma and Gpa Collette. He also got some cards with money from aunts and uncles.
 He chose chocloate cake with chocolate frosting, decorated in strawberries. I found trick candles for his cake, which I have never used for any of my kids before. My Grandma Darlene used to put them on our cakes all the time when I was growing up, and I have such great memories of trying to blow out my candles over and over again. It definitely threw Bear for a loop as he tried to blow the candles out again and again. My Grandma Darlene just started laughing as she realized what they were. Good times :)

 Bear and Great Gma Marge (my mom's mom)
 
 Bear with Great Gma and Gpa Collette (Andy's dad's parents)
 
 Bear with Great Gma Darlene (my dad's mom)
 
 Bear and Great Gma Roth (Andy's mom's mom)
 
 Bear and Gma and Gpa Collette
 
 Bear with Papa Bry and Gma Claudia
 
 Bear is so lucky to have so many people that love him so much!
 Lucky boy indeed
 
 The Monday after his birthday, he got to celebrate at school. He brought donut holes for snack time and airheads for the kids to take home. His teacher is so cute, and she made him a hat and certificate, and he got to be the special helper at school and have everyone sing to him. She also made him a mini birthday cake frosted in his favorite color. Fun day.
 
Also, later that day I was cleaning out my armoire and happened to find another gift that I had bought for Bear, and totally forgotten about. I gave it to him, and he was soooo excited. He has wanted a zip-over-the-face-hoodie ever since Jonah got one for Christmas. Pretty cute. All in all, I think I could say that Bear had a wonderful #5.

 
Bear at 5
 
Ohhhh, my Bear. What can I say about this boy? He is such a sweet little (big) guy. He is the size of an average 7 or 8 year old. He weighed 55 pounds at his 5 year appointment and he was 50 inches tall. He has recently started wearing a boys meduim or a 7/8. The doctor told me that he is on track to be about 6'6'' tall when he is an adult. He and Jonah almost wear the same size and they are almost 4 years apart. He is at least a head taller than every other kid that he plays in soccer. The point is, he is a big boy.
 
Bear has really loved preschool this year. He loves to learn, and he is following in his daddy's footsteps and is already really good at math. He can do basic subtraction and addition. He loves to be read to, and is starting to read small words on his own. He brought home a worksheet with about ten 3 and 4 letter words and I was so surprised that he could read them all with a little bit of sounding out the letters. He knows all of his letters and what sounds they make. He loves art and coloring, and has become quite the little artist. He has a box full of all of his art projects, and he likes to plaster them all over the fridge.
 
Baron loves to play with friends. He wants to have a friend over or be at a friend's house all the time. He has lots of great friends in preschool and in his primary class. He gets along great with just about anyone, boys and girls alike. 
 
Baron loves to play any sort of electronic. He loves computer games, the wii, Leapsters, Jonah's DS, my iphone, tablets, app games, anything and everything. He would play video games all day long if I let him. Luckily, he is okay with the time limit I set and when his time is up for the day, he turns it off easily, and doesn't ask to play again. He loves movies and cartoons and likes to watch them in the morning. He also loves to ride his bike and scooter, play outside on the tramp, with his siblings, or at the park. He loves to wrestle with his dad. He never quite knows when to quit either, he will never give up until he feels like he won. He loves to play board games, and asks often if I will play Checkers or Battleship with him. He has enjoyed soccer much more this year than he did last year. He has become more athletic and doesn't complain so much about being tired when he runs. Jonah is his idol and he loves anything and everything that Jonah does. He is pretty brave, which is a big change for him in recent months. He used to be scared of everything: the dark, bugs, swinging high on a swing, being left alone in a room, etc. But lately, nothing seems to bother him, and he will do just about anything. This was great while we were at Disneyland because he was big enough to go on all the rides, and he did. We took him on every ride, and he loved it all.
 
One of Baron's biggest faults is that he loves to tease. He will tease Magnus to the point of tears. I know he doesn't do it to be mean, he really does just think that he is being funny. Besides that, he is a wonderful big brother and is so sweet and loving to Magnus. He helps him and plays with him and hugs him when he is sad. It makes my heart happy to see those two little buddies play together.
 
Another funny thing about Bear is his signature pout. If he asks to do something and I say no, he immedietly drops his shoulders, hangs his head as low as it will go, and sticks out his bottom lip so far that he could practically trip on it. It is hysterical, and he has done it since he was about a year old. It just seems funnier now because he really is too big to be pouting like that. I pretty much ignore it, or tease him a little about it when he does it. He usually laughs after that, so it's not as bad as it used to be.
 
I just love this Baron boy so much. He is so happy and funny, and I love that I get to spend my days with him. I can hardly believe that he, as my fourth child, is starting kindergarten this fall. It will be so strange to take him to school each morning with his 3 older siblings. Even though he is a big boy, he just seems too little to be going to school every day. I love you so much Bear. Happy 5th Birthday, and thanks for choosing me.
 

No comments: