Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm Telling

Okay, here's my big secret: We're moving.... to Virginia!! (Shaunna- you were right!)

Here's how it happened...

Last Wednesday Andy called me and said that the Vice President of the company he works for (who manages the branch in Washington D.C.) had requested a meeting with him. At the meeting he explained to Andy that they were ready to expand this small branch and they needed more guys out there. They have been impressed with Andy and they wanted to know if he was willing to move out there. It is an amazing opportunity for him in his career, and a step up with this company.

I was in shock when he told me. I didn't know what to think. Whenever I thought about it, I would start to cry. I love where I live, I love my ward, I love my kids' school, my kids all have great friends to play with, I love my friends, my house, both mine and Andy's families are here, and the list goes on.

We felt like we had to be very thorough in deciding whether or not to move. We have fasted, prayed, and attended the temple, among other things. I knew before Andy that it was what we were supposed to do. It was such a hard decision, but once we decided, it was like a huge weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. I know it is the right thing for our family right now. All of the kids are excited except Laylah. She is being very dramatic, but I competely understand. She loves her school and friends and so do I. I told her that I know exactly how she feels, but I don't think she believes me.

It's all so much to take in. We will most likely be leaving in January or around there. We would like to be able to figure out all of my health issues before we go because I have great doctors that I am comfortable with. I'm so nervous because it's not like Andy is going there for school, where we will meet other people. I will not know a soul there. I hope we have a great ward with lots of kids.

I'm so grateful for the gospel. I can't imagine not knowing that I will have a ward family waiting for me. I'm so nervous, but I'm getting more excited. I feel bad for my kids. I think it will be hard to change schools and have to make new friends. There were a lot of "cons" on my pros and cons list when we first started talking about it, but after we knew that we were supposed to do this, those didn't seem to matter so much anymore. Anyway, wish us luck! I think I will need it most of all. :)

15 comments:

Matt and Joanna said...

Congratulations! It's fun (& hard) living out in the mission field. You're going to have a lot of great experiences. The great thing about the church is that it's the same everywhere you go. You'll meet a lot of new and wonderful people!

Sharon and John said...

WOW! that was a good secret! i know you will find great friends out there, you and your kids are so easy-going! good luck with packing...

Corrine said...

You are going to be greatly missed. We love having you here, and I have loved getting to know you and your family. Funny how things just seem to work out. Good luck with all your plans. Love you tons!!!

Amy said...

I knew it! I started to post my guess on the other post about your secret, but I didn't want to ruin it because I thought I was right! Good luck to you and your family, it will be a great adventure!

Ashlie said...

That is awesome. It was the same with us ALL of our family was in Utah we did not know a single person here in Idaho, but we have met the best people and our ward is awesome! Congratulations it will be a good change.

Tara and David said...

Crazy!!! I will miss you so much! What a great adventure, when we were going to move to Ohio, I was really excited and scared too, but it is not happening so I don't have to worry about it. I still liked my guess...twins! :) Maybe next time

Shana Smith said...

Wow, that is great. I hear Virginia is a fabulous place to live, a little more on the expensive side, but none the less a great place! Its funny cause Nate and I were just talking about moving there so Nate can get school done faster. Still might happen, who knows! I will let you know if we end up out in that direction too. Yay so very exciting, at least you will have a free place to stay (your familys place) when you all come out to visit, and its a nice excuse too!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! I love being right!! I bet it's hard to move away from family, but you will really get to grow as your own little family as you will have to rely on each other more. If you ever want to talk about moving - I have done plenty of it so let me know! Good luck - sounds like it will be a great experience for you guys!

Anonymous said...

p.s - my best, most awesome friend from houston just moved to Virginia last week - ( I think around fairfax) If thats close to where you will be you will have to get in touch - she is wonderful and so are you!!

dan and linds said...

Hey at least you can see us before we leave the right coast!

The A.Wahls said...

That is super exciting...and super crazy! You've had a lot of big things going on in your world right now! We have lived away from "home" now for over six years and while I miss certain things about being near my family, there are wonderful things about our experience out in the world on our own. Technology allows us to still be "close" to our relatives and keep up realtionships. The church has truly become our family away from home. What wonderful people we have met and learned to lean on! The church is a blessing in more ways than one! Best of luck with all the planning an preparing and all that is on your plate.
One day at a time!

Britt said...

How exciting and life changing! You will do well, and make lots of friends. I felt like the years we lived away from family really helped us bond as a couple and a family even more than we thought possible. You will have so many missionary opportunities too! Good luck!!!

SamandJasonfamily said...

I am happy for you guys! We will miss you tons!

Matt and Liz said...

VIRGINIA?! K, I'm a little slow on keeping up on the blogs! I can't believe it. We definitely need to get together before you guys are too busy to get together. Oh shucks. We'll miss you guys.

Laney said...

That's awesome! I really liked Virginia while we visited last year. With Blaine's sister in Delaware - seriously not the far away, there are even more reason's to visit. Congrats to Andy!! It's an exciting adventure for you guys.