Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Tale of the Lost Glasses

A couple weeks ago Jonah came home from school without his glasses. I wasn't home, but Andy was, and he asked him what had happened. Andy called me and told me that Jo had come home without his glasses and that a boy in 1st grade had been chasing Jo at recess and Jo said his glasses had fallen off, but he just kept running. The boy picked them up and said "Haha! I have your glasses!" And he put them in is pocket and ran away. Andy was furious because we've had a bit of trouble with Jonah being bullied since he started kindergarten, and Andy had just had it. He was very angry and said he was going into that piece of $#@* school and telling them to take better care of our kids when they were in charge of them. I told him to calm down and wait for me to come home so I could go with him, but he wouldn't. I told him to at least calm down before he went in to talk to the principal. He said he would. When I got home he was gone. He came home awhile later and said that they had called the boy into the office and asked him about the glasses and the boy had told them he didn't have the glasses and he didn't know where they were. The principal told us that she was sorry, but there wasn't anything else she could do if the boy wouldn't admit to anything. So Andy and Jo had gone out on the playground and searched for the glasses, but they never found them. After Andy told me that, I started to get mad. The school wasn't going to do anything?! They ask the kid a few questions and that's it? That didn't fly with me.

When Jo woke up from his nap, I asked him to tell me exactly what happened. He explained everything to me (which I'm not going to recap because this post doesn't need to be longer than it already is) and I told him we were going back to the school to try and find his glasses. Before we left, I asked Jo if there was something we should do before we went to try and find his glasses. He thought about it for a minute and then said "We should say a prayer to Heavenly Father so he can help us find my glasses." I was so happy that he came up with that on his own. So we went and said a prayer. Jo offered it, and it was so sweet.

When we got to the school, I asked the office if they'd been turned in. Nope. So, we went out to the playground. I asked Jo to tell me again what had happened and show me where he was while it was happening. He did that and he said the boy ran over to the relo's (relocatable classrooms)
and ran in between two of them after he had taken the glasses. Jo said his bell rang to go inside then and he just went in. His teacher had asked him where his glasses were and I guess he was too scared to tell her what really happened because he just said they had fallen off. She had also taken him out to look for them and obviously, they hadn't found them.

So after he explained all that, we went over to the relo's and looked all around them and and also in the field below them. We kept searching and searching the giant field that is part of the playground. I felt like we were never going to find those stinkin' glasses and I heard a voice in my head say "Don't give up" So, I kept going. I had crossed the whole field one way and felt like I should turn around and go back the other way. When I turned, I noticed the sun glinting off of several things in the field. I walked to the closest thing and saw that it was a silver candy wrapper that the sun was making a glare on. I realized my problem. I had been going the wrong way. If I walked this way, the sun might leave a glare on the lenses and make them easier to spot! So, I started walking to everything I could see that had a glare on it. Most of it was trash and candy wrappers. I just kept going, praying in my head the whole time that we would find the glasses. I was coming close to the relo's again and realizing I had crossed the entire field again and they were nowhere to be found. Just then I took a step and felt the tip of my boot brush against something in the grass. I froze. Then I turned around and looked down.

There sat the glasses, in perfect condition, not a scratch or a broken piece on them. How had I missed seeing them, or better yet, stepping on them? I just started to cry. Jonah ran up, so excited yelling "You found them mom! You found them! Heavenly Father helped us, and you found them!" Then he noticed me crying and asked me why I was doing that. I told him that I was just so grateful that Heavenly Father cares so much about us that he would always be there for us and help us with such a small thing. And I am. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if we would've had to buy new glasses, but I didn't want to have to spend the money, especially with Christmas coming up and because glasses are expensive! Jonah then told me that we should say a prayer to thank Heavenly Father for helping us. I completely agreed, and we did just that.

I am so grateful for my testimony. I love the gospel and I am grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost. At this time of year especially, I am grateful for the knowledge I have of the gospel and for the love my Savior has for me. I am so grateful that I found Jo's glasses.

3 comments:

Mrs.Spy said...

Aw, that made me cry! Jonah is such a good boy and I'm sorry some brat at the school is picking on him.

SamandJasonfamily said...

I'm happy you found his glasses. Thanks for sharing your testimony.

SamandJasonfamily said...

I'm happy you found his glasses. Thanks for sharing your testimony.