Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Story of the Stockings

I am a pretty organized person, for the most part. Once in awhile my life gets crazy and that isn't the case, until I get back on track. I'd like to be more organized, but maybe that'll happen when I'm dead. But that's a story for another day.

This story is about my kid's Christmas stockings. I absolutely love stockings- they have got to be one of my most favorite things about Christmas. I don't know why, but there you go. Every year I carefully browse store after store looking for the very best things to place in those stockings with care (just like Santa, of course). Sometimes I have things in mind to put in there months before. Like I said- stockings are special (I thought about it, and I decided I feel this way because my mom was always so incredibly thoughtful with our stocking stuffers. She's the best :)

So, naturally I finished my Christmas shopping about a month before, right at the beginning of December. I had everything for my kids, they were set. So, naturally, I stuffed every bag, package, and box into my storage closet, not to be looked at again until the week of Christmas, which is when I do all my wrapping (I HATE wrapping, I always put it off until the last minute). On December 22nd I had everything wrapped except for my kids stuff. I had the feeling that I should go through all of their stuff and just make sure I was set. I had actually had the feeling several times the past couple weeks, but like a true procastinator, I ignored it. That evening when Andy and I started going through the hundreds (okay, not that many :) of bags and dividing stuff into piles for each kid, I finally realized that something was missing. The entire bag of my 2 girls stocking stuffers (minus a couple of things) was missing. Gone. Nothing. I started to panic. Where was I going to get more stocking stuffers 2 days before Christmas?!?!

I called Target (where the majority of their stuffers came from) and told them my dilemma. They told me to come in and they'd look at my receipt and watch the security tapes to see if the bag was left and then refund me my money. "My money?" I thought. "I don't want money, I want my perfectly picked out stocking stuffers!" I did what they said, they found the mistake and refunded me my moola. I then proceeded to search and score the empty shelves and bins, practically in tears, looking for wonderful things for my more than wonderful girls. I did alright, finding several items (many of them were the LAST little something hanging!) and it turned out to be just fine.

I hope I learn from this experience, and I hope it helps me on my quest to stop procastinating and continue to be a more organized person.

BUT, things worked out this time (thank heavens), soooo, it probably won't :)

No comments: