Saturday, January 15, 2011

Daphne turns 5

My Daphne girl turned 5 on Thursday. She has been so excited to turn 5, mostly because a) She gets to start kindergarten in August and b) She no longer has to take naps. She is so funny.


We started out the day with her choice of birthday breakfast. She wanted powdered sugar crepes, hard boiled eggs, and pears (she always chooses the weirdest combinations for her birthday meals). She got to open one gift (her birthday outfit) and was just so happy all day long. I had planned on taking all of my kids to Funland's softplay area after the other kids got out of school, but Daphne, Baron, and Magnus have been so sick all week. They have had horrible, nasty coughs and noses, and I didn't want to infect the entire place, so we stayed home all day. Daphne chose chicken fingers, home-made fries, artichokes, and crescents for her birthday dinner. She also wanted raspberry lemonade, of course.


Daphne was very eager to open presents. She has been asking for the same thing for 2 months. Barbie and her walking horse. She saw it at Kohl's in November and has been talking about it ever since. What I found interesting is that she didn't ask for it for Christmas. Just for her birthday. Funny how their little minds work.I found this used book on Amazon for $0.01! It is Daphne's absolute favorite book. We have checked it out at the library and renewed it 100 times. Not quite sure why she likes it so much, but she does. So I got her her very own copy. Unfortunaely, Andy was the photographer and missed her initial, thrilled excitement when she opened it and saw what it was. It was adorable :)

I had ordered this cd player/karaoke/mp3 hookup player the day after Christmas. By her birthday (the 13th) it still hadn't arrived. I was so mad and when I called they told me it would be arriving the 14th. Lame. So I wrapped a picture of it along with the cd's we got her and I was very surprised that she knew exactly what the picture was ("that's a cd player!") and was very excited for it to arrive the next day.




She looks a little bored in this pic, but I promise, she likes getting new clothes :)



Receiving some green is ALWAYS fun :)

And finally.... the long-awaited Barbie with her walking horse Tawny. Daphne was thrilled when she opened this gift and immediately opened the box up and played with it the rest of the night. Funny side-note: The horse needed batteries to walk and Andy put them in and it wouldn't work. I asked Daph if she wanted to return it. She said no, that she didn't care if it worked, she just loved this horse so much. I asked Andy if he put the batteries in correctly and he gave me a look like "Duh, you think I would put the batteries in wrong?" Well, later (as Daph was playing with her new horse) the battery pack had been left on the couch and I sat down to feed Magnus and picked up the pack and examined it. One of the batteries was installed incorrectly. I fixed it, put it in the horse and Voila'! The horse walked. Happy day. And of course, I had to give Andy a hard time :)


Daphne receieved a cute dress, leapster game, candy, and drawing pad from her Papa Bry and Grandma Claudia. She received money and a darling book called "You Know How Much I Miss You" that was recordable and Grandma and Grandpa Collette read the book and recorded their voices reading it. It was very cute. Daphne and all the other kids love to sit and listen to it. Her Aunt Rachel and also all 4 of her wonderful great grandparents sent money and cards. She was so excited all week whenever she received a card in the mail. Andy and I got her new clothes, boots, a necklace, cd player, cd's, the walking horse, and a book. She loved it all.



I asked Daphne what kind of cake she wanted and I can't believe how specific she was. She told me she wanted me to make her a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and decorate it with a clock. What?! Well, that's what I did. it turned out pretty comical, especially after the cake split down the middle and fell apart. At least I got a picture before that happened :) Notice the time? 5:00? get it? Okay, so maybe I'm the only one who thought that was clever!

Notoice it starting to split already....


yummy


Look! Her cd player was delivered while Daphne was at preschool on Friday. She was so excited to come home and try it out. It is a huge hit and all of the kids love it.
Daphne at 5
Daphne is such a fun girl. She is so sweet and cute. She has an electric personality and I cannot believe how many people comment to me how sweet she is. Her primary teachers, preschool teachers, friends mom's, and random people at the grocery store will tell me how sweet and wonderful she is. Here's an example: I was waiting in line at the store to check-out and it was at Christmas time, so it was super busy. An older woman behind me was going through her purse and it dropped on the floor and everything spilled out of it. Her stuff, including coins, receipts, lipsticks, etc. flew everywhere. Daphne immedietly ran over to her and started helping her pick it up off of the floor. It took her about 5 minutes and the lady had tears in her eyes after they cleaned it all up and she told me what a special little girl I had. Later, Daphne told me that she knew that the right thing to do was to help that lady.
She is also hilarious. I just cannot believe some of the things that come out of her mouth. She always has us all laughing around the dinner table. She is very smart and has an amazing memory. Several times a primary teacher or preschool teacher has told me that they'll ask a question to the class that they don't think anyone will know the answer to, but Daphne will know the answer. She loves to read and retains information. She can count past 100, and taught herself how to write her name before she started preschool, as well as the entire alphabet. She is always asking questions about everything and she will remember the answer you give her. She loves to ride her bike and scooter and play with friends, and also sing and dance in dress-ups. Barbies are her favorite, but she also likes her Baby Alive and taking care of her. She asks to color or play with play-do at least once a day. She and Baron have become very close since we moved to Virginia and play really well together. She adores Magnus and loves to make him smile and also read him books and play puppets with him. When he was first born she didn't pay a lot of attention to him, but over the past several weeks, she has loved to help out with him and has become much more involved. She loves to play nintendo with Jonah and pretend with Laylah. She likes to play with Sadie and take her for walks. She is so good to share her toys and has gotten so much better about her fit-throwing. She rarely gets into trouble and is a very good listener.
She has become a little bit pickier with her eating, but she will always try something once. She loves fruit, peanut butter and honey sandwiches, cereal (frosted mini wheats the most), and eats veggies, but they are not her favorite. She loves treats, especially chocolate. She is pretty little still. I think she weighs 35 pounds and is about 38 inches tall. I'll find out for sure at her 5 year check-up next Tuesday. Baron is going to be passing her up in height soon-he passed her up in weight over a year ago.
As you can see, Daphne is a complete joy. I adore her and apparently, so does everyone who knows her.
Happy Birthday baby girl.
*post edit*
Daph had her 5 year exam.... I was a bit off and she's grown! She is now in the 50th percentile for height and weight. She's 38 pounds and 41 inches tall.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Aww what a doll! Daphne is just the sweetest little girl. I know I already told you this, but I was so impressed when, during Primary, the leaders were asking questions to the kids and Daphne raised her hand and answered, in her sweet little voice something about "and when Jesus was resurrected..."
Kids really do understand so much more than we ever give them credit for. It sounds like she is a special, one-of-a-kind kid with a tender heart. What a sweet story about helping the lady out!