Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An Ice Day...?

I have experienced a lot of new things from living out here in the east. For the first time yesterday, I experienced an ice day. I had heard about these occurences but hadn't yet had the opportunity of seeing it. It was crazy! School was closed because there was a thin sheet of ice over everything. It had been raining the day before and through the night. It was not very cold but it progressivly became colder until the rain froze and everything that was wet turned to ice. I had checked the school website early that morning (I got into the habit of doing that when there is a even the slightest chance of closure or delay because otherwise, we get all ready, and then I find out after my kids are already waiting at the bus stop :) while I was nursing Magnus, and school was to be closed. I looked outside and not seeing any snow, thought it was ridiculous. After I found out that it was because the Ice Capades were happening outside, I decided it was probably a good idea my kids weren't riding a big bus that could slide out of control at any moment. I still had to be to a doctor's appointment around 9:30, so Andrew had to come out to help me even open the car door because they were frozen shut. He scraped and scraped my windows while chunks of ice flew off everywhere. I also went to put some letters in the mailbox to go out and the mailbox was frozen shut! There were tiny raindrop sized icicles covering everything. It was beautiful.



I wish I would have had time to take a few more pictures, but I was in a rush, so I took what I could. Luckily by mid-morning it was all melted and wasn't as scary to drive around in. I'm getting used to all of the different and new experiences here, and I have to say, I am loving it. I really love the east coast and I love Virginia.

No comments: