Monday, February 6, 2012

Happy Weekend To Me

I went to a flea market on Saturday with some friends. I had never been to a real flea market. I didn't want to leave. Around every corner there were new treasures, oldies but goodies. I found serving bowls that my grandma used to serve up dinner with, a bobble-head china doll that my mom used to have in her curio cabinet, and dozens and dozens of vintage perfume bottles (I love old perfume bottles). I wanted so many things, but each and every time I'd think, "Where am I going to put this? I don't need this." But I really really wanted it. "It" meaning old stuff. Old, cool stuff. We've lost many things as time goes on. What happened to getting dressed up for dinner? What happened to fancy hats and pearls, beautiful dresses and long coats. It took me back, that flea market. Back to a place I'd never even been, but I certainly could imagine. It seemed like a lovely place, those days of old.

I did happen to find something that I felt I couldn't live without. Plus, it's decorative and functional. It's a serving tray. A cute, refinished, vintage serving tray. I love it. Later that day, Andy took me to my favorite Japanese grill in our little town, Sakura. I had sushi, he had steak. We shared grilled mushrooms and veggies, soup and salad. He had a bite (or 7) of my sushi, I had a nibble of his steak. We went shopping at my favorite Target. Just to be there, because it's my home away from home..... away from home. We went to Kohl's next. I got a new watch that I'd had my eye on for quite some time. We went to a movie and shared a box of Whoppers (lately, they're my new favorite. No offense Jr. Mints). We had a fabulous night, just the 2 of us. I woke up a year older and had myself a birthday. The kids sang to me (You've had a birthday, shout Hoo-Ray!...), showered me with gifts and cards, and were more excited than I was. Ohhhh, but they're cute, those kiddos of mine. My honey scored big with an amazing birthday cake, and I was happy.

I am happy. I am a happy, blessed, lucky woman. I am.

Except for the turning29part (!!!) I'm still not quite sure how I feel about being in my 20's for only one more short year. Maybe I'll become super mature this year and get over that. Buuuut.... proabably not.

Plus, the Giants won the superbowl. Woot woot!

Happy Birthday to me :)

4 comments:

Matt and Joanna said...

happy happy birthday girl! i'm glad you had such a great day, you deserve it :)

Ashlie said...

(sorry about the double comment on the above post) Happy Birthday! I am so glad you had a fabulous weekend:o)

Laney said...

What a fun celebration! I swear 30's are so fun. Seriously.

Jasmyn said...

I wish I were turning 29 this year with 5 kids and done done done with babies! :) LUCKY.