Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Daphne Turns 6!

My Daphne girl turned 6 several weeks ago, and my oh my was she ever excited. I left a surprise for her by her bedroom door, and it was really fun to hear her squeals of excited delight the next morning when she woke up and opened her door.She chose sugar crepes, hard-boiled eggs, and pears for breakfast (hmmm, sounds familiar... I think she chose that LAST year?)


She also got to open one gift from Andy and I. It was a new outfit for her bitty-baby and also an outfit for her. She was more excited about bitty-baby's outfit, because that is what she had wanted most of all for her birthday.I went and ate lunch with her at school, and she had requested a happy meal. I brought that for her and we had fun chatting while we ate. She's kind of a stinker though, and wouldn't give me a hug or a kiss goodbye. Too cool for mom already? Oh geez, what will it be like in 10 years if it's already this bad in kindergarten?!




We had her favorite dinner of chicken roll-ups with gravy, broccoli, and blackberries, along with raspberry lemonade. After dinner, it was time for presents.
Daphne dressed Bella up in her new clothes and got ready to be surprised. She had asked for several things and I told her we would be able to get her some of them but not all. She was thrilled to be able to get a cradle for Bella.






She had also asked for a pet bed for her dog Pepper. I had found a hamster bed on amazon for super cheap, and she was a little confused when she opened it and saw pictures of hamsters on the tag. Luckily, Pepper fit perfectly, so she was okay with it after that.




She also got a diaper bag with some cloth diapers and wipes in it to change Bella, and also a bottle for her.




I was a little hesitant to buy all of this babydoll stuff after Daphne gave me her birthday list, because I wondered how long she would stay interested in babydolls at her age. And then I remembered that I played with babies until I was 10 or 11 and decided it would be okay. Sure enough, she hasn't stopped playing with it all since.


And here's her cute new jacket.


I found this pin on Pinterest and thought the directions seemed fairly easy, so I thought I would attempt it. Now, mine looks nothing like the original pin, but I was proud of myself just the same. This is a first for me, and I was thrilled that it turned out. And Daphne was SO excited to see it when she came home from school, which is all that really matters anyway.



Make a wish!




After chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate ice cream (the girl is a choco-holic, what can I say?) we found a few more gifts from aunts and uncles and grandparents that had been received in the mail that day. She got some jewelry, treats, and money. All a girl really needs, right?


Andy put baby Bella's cradle together so that Daphne could put her to bed. And then Daphne went to bed, after a picture with her adoring parents. What a fun birthday for a 6 year old.
And now, we have Daphne at age 6:




Daphne is such a crack-up. She is such a little sassy-pants, and her laugh is contagious. She has pretty much grown out of the tantrum throwing, but when she has had a long day, or is overly-tired.... watch out. She can keep it up for literally hours. And then she'll bring it up over and over about how upset she was, and how it just wasn't fair. Lately I fear she's hitting the "middle child" thing. Everything is unfair, and she doesn't think anyone gets treated like she does. I'm afraid for when she becomes a teenager.




On the other hand, she is SO much fun to be around when she's happy, which thankfully, is most of the time. She is so extremely loving and caring and has to give everyone a hug and a kiss every night before she goes to bed. She adores Magnus and will play with him and entertain him for hours. She is so so sweet. She is very creative and very funny. I love overhearing her imaginative games being played. She never ceases to amaze me.




Daphne loves to ride her bike and jump on the tramp. She enjoys playing with her siblings, but often asks to have a friend over. She has several wonderful little girlfriends at school, in our neighborhood, and in our ward. She gets invited to friend's houses often, and I am always happy to hear that she has wonderful manners and plays so nicely. She still enjoys barbies, and her babydolls. She also loves to draw and color and do crafts. She loves to sing and dance in her room and that can keep her entertained for hours. She also enjoys swimming, and was proud that she learned to do so without any floaties last summer. She loves to play games on the computer, especially PBS kids and Webkinz. She also enjoys helping me in the kitchen and loves to make yummy treats to eat. She has been loving her first year in Girl Scouts and is always asking when her next meeting is. She did cheerleading last fall, and while she enjoyed it, she's not sure if she wants to do it again or not. She wants to start gymnastics, so we'll have to see how that works out.




Daphne is my pickiest eater. Although she really likes a lot of healthy foods, there are a few that she absolutely refuses to eat (like yogurt, which she used to love. Who doesn't like yogurt?! Also, gum. She HATES gum and complains about the smell when anyone else is chewing it). If I make her try something she doesn't like, she coughs and gags and makes a huge deal out of how much she dislikes it. She is pretty good to try anything once. Her favorite foods are berries, pears, peaches, grapefruit, pancakes, crepes, cheerios, peanut butter and honey sandwhiches, string cheese, raisins, crock pot chicken, tacos, mashed potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, mushrooms, and white chili. She LOVES chocolate, but not really other sweets or candy. She will eat baked goods once in awhile, but they're not her favorite.




Daphne is a smarty-pants. She got 102% on last terms testing. I guess there were 5 bonus questions and she got a couple of those right. Her teacher raves about how smart she is. She is an amazing reader and speller. She is reading 1st and 2nd grade books right now. She is also great with numbers and math. She's very well-rounded. It's surprising to me, because I was always just average in school. She must have gotten Andy's genes because he is super smart too and always excelled in school. I am glad she loves school, and I hope she can go far with the knowledge she is gaining.




Happy Birthday my Daphne Girl. We sure do love you and your spunky personality!

No comments: