Saturday, November 8, 2008

He Really is a Pirate...


...At least for the next year or so. We had Jonah's follow-up appointment with the opthemalogist and it didn't go as well as we hoped. It turns out Jonah is almost completely blind in his left eye. He is going to have to start wearing a patch for 4 hours a day and the Dr. said he will have to for at least a year. I feel so bad for him, poor guy. But of course I was very upbeat and he got to choose his patches which he was stoked about. They have camoflouge, different sports balls, and cars on them. We put the camo one on him right away and then I had to run a couple errands. When we got out of the car he almost fell over and said "Mom! I can't see!" It almost broke my heart! I had to hold his hand the whole time at the store, and he kept tripping and running into things, and I would accidently walk off without him and then hear him calling me yelling "Where are you Mom? I can't see!" I finally put him in the cart. When we got home, he started crying and wanted it off. I finally let him take it off and I held him while he cried about it. It made me realize how many things we take for granted every day and I cannot imagine feeling so lost, helpless, and not being able to see. It reminded me of our Heavenly Father, and how much we need his help to get back to live with Him again. We can't see Him, but we can call out for His help. And how through prayer, we can do this just by saying " I need your help to guide me, I'm a little lost right now." This has been on my mind lately, I guess because of the stress I've been feeling, being overwhelmed with four children and all the small daily things that just add up and soon they are all piled up on top of me. I know my Father in Heaven is there for me, but I really don't call upon Him enough for help. I'm sure this makes Him sad. If Jonah didn't ask me for help, I wouldn't know what to do. I would feel terrible if he had to find his way on his own. I am so grateful for my knowledge of the Gospel, and knowing I have heavenly parents that love me more than I can imagine. I was grateful to Jonah for helping me to see just how much I need my Heavenly Father by relying so much upon me. I just love him, and all my kids so much. And I'm really glad Jo got some good practice from being a pirate at Halloween... :)

6 comments:

Tara and David said...

Ok make me cry! What a sweet boy he is! It is amazing how much we take for granted until we are without. I love that boy!

Unknown said...

How hard! I completely understand the overwhelming feeling though! It's so good that you were able to relate that to our relationship with our Heavenly Father. I've realized that this week too. My husband had to wear an eye patch for a long time when he was little and had a hard time with it (he had a lazy eye). BUT his mom made him wear it and was there to support him, and now his eyes are perfect. Just know that you are being such a good mom and he will get through it because of you. Hang in there!

Brian and Becca said...

You are such a good mom and Daughter of god. I hope Joe is okay and I know he will be because your are a great mom. Joe knows that you will be there for him, and he will know that you are there to help him :)

Matt and Liz said...

Poor little Jonah! I hope he gets used to wearing the patch quickly, and that it helps it heal. Hang in there with all the craziness. I'll take pictures of my house and send them to you, and then you'll feel not so alone anymore! I know how I feel at times with all the crazy kids and the messes piling up. Call me when you need someone to cry with!! You are amazing for having 4 small children! Hold your head up. You are a great mom!

amberkei said...

Jonah's a trooper! He's looks like he'll be just fine - I love this picture!
Sarah, thanks for all your upbeat comments. I can hardly believe you feel overwhelmed because you seem like you have it all together and you are such a great mom to your kids. I'm sorry you're feeling crazy lately...but after this past week, I'm so very relived that I'm not the only one! You're amazing!

Maquel said...

You poor thing! Anything that happens to our kids is twenty times worse than if it happened to us. I had to wear a patch when I was little too, but back in the day, they just put tape over the lens of my glasses (It was really attractive, let me tell you). But it did it's job, though not without some fighting and crying on my part. Anyway, I can look back on this situation now and laugh, but mostly I feel very grateful that it was taken care of. Hang in there. You're doing awesome!