Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dear Mr. Webster...


We have a few additions here at the Collette househould that we would like you to consider adding to your book of words. They are regulars around here and we would like them recognized as actual words in the English language. Thank you.
yoge: n, shortcut for the word yogurt, as no one in our entire house actually has enought ime to say yogurt. It must be yoge.
Sentance: Can you buy more yoge at the store mom?
twozum: adj, the words two + of + them all smooshed together. Saves loads of time, I'm sure you can imagine.
Sentance: Look mom, I have twozum! One for each hand!
whap: v, smack, hit hard, punch, bump. Used to describe anything mean someone else has done.
Sentance: Mom! Jonah just whapped me! (crying to follow)
grav: v, to get something (basically "grab" but with a v instead of a b)
Sentance: Hold on mom, let me go grav my backpack.
These words are used daily around here. It drives Andy crazy and he is always correcting the kids. I guess that's what happens when you grow up with a very articulate father who insists on the proper use of english like his dad did. I myself think it's kind of cute. And funny. Especially when they use these words around other people who don't know what the heck we're talking about :)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Ahh! I love this post! It completely reminds me of living in Baltimore. Wait until you are there longer and you'll learn even more crazy words. One of my favorites is "warsh". Sentence: I'm going to warsh my car. Really? I didn't think there was an "r" in wash! People always talk about going to "warshington". I'm sure us Utahns have strange accents too! Oh and your post on your backyard totally made me jealous too. I miss the trees! The cherry blossom festival should be happening in the next week or so in D.C. You guys have to check it out. It's amazing. They also have a kite festival that goes on on the lawns in the mall (grass area between Lincoln and Washington monuments). Your kids will think it's awesome!

Ashlie said...

You are so funny...I really think Webster should use them...they should come out with a Mom's Dictionary.

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

So cute...love the yoge it reminds me of Seinfeld when they shorten all their words (ha ha ha!)