Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Story About the Post Office


Kind of. It's not really about the post office, but somewhere in this long, rambling, pointless vent, it makes an appearance. Get ready for a silly story about moving to a new place, not knowing where anything is, and being frustrated.

Really.

Frustrated.


So, I have been trying to get back on track, finishing unpacking, and getting organized. I had a list of things to do today:


-go eat a cheeseburger for lunch (I have been wanting a cheesburger really bad for some reason.... so I thought I'd try Five Guys because I hadn't tried it yet)

-go to Michael's and get a couple of cute decorations I've been needing for some empty spots in my new (bigger-that's why there's empty spots :) house.

-go to the post office (which is supposed to be right next to the mall-says google maps) to mail a few things

-go into the mall to pick up Easter outfits for the kids (and maybe a few new things for me :)



We left about noon, stopped at the grocery store really fast to get a couple of last minute items that I needed to put into the packages I was mailing. While we were there, I of course spied the Easter candy (my FAVE holiday candy of the year) and I grabbed a box of Peeps because I love them and also because Bear was yelling "Cheeps! Cheeps!"


He held the box all the way to Five Guys. We went in and ate a yummy lunch (but I really missed my fry sauce-why doesn't any other state have it? It's a mystery to me) After we got back in the car Bear grabbed his box of Peeps.


We drove over to Michaels where I found a couple things I wanted and then went to pay. I asked the lady if she could let me use one of their coupons (the Michaels by my house always had a stack of their weekly ad with the coupon in it right by the register) She told me I had to bring a coupon in. I told her we had just moved here and that I don't recieve the paper. She stared at me and said "Sorry". Boo. The frustration begins. I left my most expensive item and said "Well, I guess I'll just have to come back for this then" hoping she'd just give me the 40% off. Nope. She took it and put it under the register. Lame.


Back to the car. Bear grabbed the Peeps and insisted I open them. So I did, and me, him, and Daph all had one. Then he said "Mo peas!" and of course I had to oblige. I start driving around the parking lot looking for the post office. I'm thinking "Okay, Google maps said it was right by the mall, so it should be here somewhere." After driving around for 5 minutes and not seeing it, I tried calling Andy to have him look it up for me. No answer. I keep driving and call back 10 minutes later. No answer. I stop and ask someone in the parking lot. The lady barely speaks English. I tell her nevermind and try calling Andy again. No answer. Grrrr....


I finally call my sister and we chat for a few minutes until she can look up what I need. She tells me where to go, I drive there. No Post Office. She gives me the number. I call them. No answer. Seriously?


Right then Daph startes laughing hysterically and squeals "Look at Baron!" I turn around and look at him, only to see a marshmellow covered mess. Uggghhhh. Peep everywhere. On his hands, carseat, clothes, car door.... you name it. He laughs and then yells "Off!" and starts flinging the mess. I tell him we'll go clean him up in a few minutes and to stop touching everything. So of course, he cries-well, screams actually. I try calling the post office again. They finally answer and I ask where the heck they are. He tells me "We're located inside the mall." Of course you are.


I drive around to the back of the mall and park a zillion miles away in the closest parking spot. I turn around and see that Bear has fallen asleep. Great. I also just happen to notice the time. 3:10. My other 2 kids will be home in 35 minutes and it takes me 20 to get home. Plus, I realize I have no stroller to carry my thousand pound kid plus the 3 large packages that need mailing. My mom calls me right then. I vent my frustration to her, including telling her that there is no freakin' stroller in my car, but that it is in my garage at home. Lame. She asks me what I'm going to do. I just get mad and say what a waste of a day this has been. Then I turn my car back on and start driving home.


On the way I hear Daphne talking on her pretend cell phone. She yells "I don't have a freakin' stroller in this car!"


Classic.

9 comments:

Shellie and Bryan said...

That was a hilarious story...not for you, i'm sure though. I laughed out loud a couple times. Good luck next time you run errands in this new city :)

amberkei said...

It's only because you had an agenda, my dear! J/K! But, seriously, doesn't it feel that way sometimes. If you HAVE to get things done on a certain day and plan everything out just perfect, well, then here comes life at you! I'm sorry it's weird getting used to new things. Of course that's why all the craziness...you didn't have an insane day planned! I hope you're able to get those errands done next time. Why isn't everything open late at night for moms who need to just run 30 minutes of errands without children?

Corrine said...

OK, so, that was really hysterical!!! I'm truly sorry it was at your expense, but I really enjoyed hearing the story. I hope everything else is going good for you though. Your adventures are priceless. You will be grateful you wrote them down. Sure to love ya, girl!!!

BTW, Karie is my new VT Comp. I am very excited, but I will surly miss you.

Becca and Brian said...

LOL! OH man that was a good laugh! I was a little intimidated to read the novel but well worth it. That stinks that everything went wrong. I think you can go to Michael's website and get the coupon from them. Good luck tomorrow!

The A.Wahls said...

It was fun to read this post because it wasn't my awful story and yet I could so easily place myself in it becuase I've been in so many similar ones. It is so hard to learn a new place...especially with little ones in tow. I was just thinking the other day about how hard it was to find the post office specifically, when we moved here (or anywhere for that matter). I had to pick up a package there and was realizing how easy it was to find now that I know where I'm going. I have also had the same annoying experience at Michael's. No one does craft stores like Utah! While you may not have accomplished all you'd intended to that day, I'm impressed with all you set out for. Keep at it...it'll get easier. :)

SamandJasonfamily said...

That was entertaining to read, thanks for the laugh Sarah!

Travis and Cristan said...

I know I shouldn't be laughing...but I am because it didn't happen to me!!!
I wished you would've called me because I like when you vent to me:) and because I could have probably vented to you!
I can't believe it takes you 20 min to go any where...bummer!


P.S. Me and my hair are still missing you!!!!!!!!!!

Allyson said...

oh my! i just laughed out loud! SO FREAKIN funny!

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

Oh goodness, that is quite the day! Love the "cheaps, cheaps" so cute!