Monday, March 8, 2010

Momentous Occasions

Several momentous occasions have come to pass since we moved. We've been having some exciting going on's over here on the east coast (I know you are just dying of anticipation!)...


Momentous Occasion #1: We bought a new couch

Now, this may not be a big deal to most of you, but it was big time for me. Andy and I have been married for over 7 1/2 years, and we have NEVER bought a new couch. My parents gave us some money for our wedding which we used to buy some used couches which have been covered by various slipcovers over the years. Those couches have been great for us, and they are SO comfy, but it was time to move one.... and I love our new one. But, it is huge and our family room is small. We didn't even think about measuring it when we bought it, and when they came to deliver it, we were really worried it wasn't going to fit. But, we finally maneuvered it in front of the firepalce, and now it works. I don't mind that though because the fireplace doesn't work, and besides, summer is coming, so even if it did.... you get my point :) SO, even though it and our TV stand are the only things that will fit in the room, I'm happy about it :)

Momentous Occasion #2: I FINALLY unpacked my china

Yes, it's true. The china is unpacked and actually in my cupboard! For some reason, when I got married, I felt it necessary to register for china. My mother had china after all, and her mother had china, so of course, I needed china. (The thing I failed to notice was that they rarely, if ever, actually USED it...) SO much to Andy's protests, we registered for china and goblets. We received about 4 or 5 sets for our wedding and then we went back and bought the remainder so we had six complete sets, and a couple extra pieces (in case something broke of course :) I didn't want to open the china when we lived in our first place, because their was not enough cupboard space. Same story in our second place. And our third. And our fourth. Fifth. Sixth. We have moved 9 times in our marriage, and there those boxes of china sat. In storage. Much to Andy's irritation (remember, he never wanted it in the first place, and he hated moving it, storing it, etc. He even suggested selling it once, but I just couldn't part with it. haha)
Well, while we were unpacking this house, we came across the many boxes of brand spanking new china/goblet boxes. My mom suggested we get them out. I said "Oh, I think I'll just leave them" And then I thought "I am never going to use these, I guess I should sell them" And then I decided to open one, because I had actually forgotten what they looked like. So I did. And that was that. I unpacked them all and decided I would have to have a very nice dinner party sans kids with Andy, myself, and 2 other couples. Anyone wanna come? :)





Momentous Occasion #3: I am now a minority
I went to the grocery store the other day and saw this sign (and parked there, I might add-yes, the stall was empty)-


WHAT?! There are parking spots designated for parents with CHILDREN??? Right next to the handicap stall no less. In a way, I guess a mom with kids IS handicapped... I think I'm gonna like this place :)

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Congrats on the couch! I had to laugh about your china. I also HAD to register for it, we have TWELVE sets!! They were in their boxes for years until we moved into this house, where they have their own cabinet. I don't care, I love having it, even if we've only used it three or four times probably. A proper lady has her own china, right? :) I tell myself we'll use it all the time at a different stage in life. Maybe? :)

Tara and David said...

I wish that I had china, my mother has some and I wish I did. Maybe some time I will buy them myself. Love the couch...I want one like that so bad, but that won't happen for a while. I wish here in Utah they would post signs like that....wait they would always be FULL!!! Glad that you are liking it there:)

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

Love, love, love the couch it is so cute. I had to laugh about being a minority, yeah that would never happen in Utah!

The Jubbs said...

I love the couch! It looks good. And you have a big family... you'll just have to deal with things not fitting :) Hopefully by 7 1/2 years we can buy our first couch, too! And I so want to move there. A special parking spot just for me and my bebes! Nobody here cares! Oh, and Ryan and I will come to dinner. Just tell us the day and we'll be there. We've never eaten on such fancy things :) Love you guys and miss you lots!

Chillygator said...

That couch looks awesome! Congratulations!

Laney said...

The couch is fabulous! And I love your china. It's simple and elegant. Hope you have lots of chances to use it.

Becca and Brian said...

That sign is awesome! I want to move there too! Love the new couch very nice! From the pictures your house looks very nice you should take more pics so I can see what the house looks like! We miss you.

Becca and Brian said...

okay so after I read this post I went to bed and had a Dream about you and your couches and your new house I'll have to tell you all about it over the phone it was weird and funny!