Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter/Conference Brunch

This will definitely be a first for me on this blog-posting a recipe. I always joke about being "homemaker challenged", but the truth is, I'm always trying to improve myself and I'm trying to like trying new things (I've always had a hard time with change :) I never used to cook and over the years I believe I have improved leaps and bounds. I actually enjoy it and I like the compliments I receive when I cook a yummy meal or a delicious dessert. Is that being vain? I don't care.

Anyway, my hubby and kids think I'm a great cook, and I guess that's all that really matters. My favorite meal of the day has always been breakfast. So, I love to do big, delicious breakfasts for holidays and special occasions. This recipe is soooo bad for you- I only make it once or twice a year. I know the last time I made it was last Father's Day. I made it for our Easter brunch even though I was gagging the entire time. I could barely choke it down (that makes it sound disgusting, but it's actually incredible.... maybe not when you're 10 weeks pregnant though ;)

Okay, so without further ado I present....


Berry Croissant French Toast

8 large or 16 small croissants (I prefer 8 large-less work and you can always split them)

Filling:
12 oz. cream cheese
3 tblspn sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 pint strawberries sliced (or any berry, I've tried raspberries and it was divine)

Dip:
4 eggs
1 tblspn sugar
3/4 c cream
1 tblspn orange zest

Syrup:
1/2 c butter
1/2 c buttermilk (substitute 1/2 c milk mixed with 1/2 tsp vinegar)
1 c sugar or brown sugar (I prefer brown sugar-it makes it more caramely)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla


Soften cream cheese, mix until smooth and add sugar and extract and mix well. Slice croissants and spread cream cheese mixture. Add berries, replace top.
Preheat skillet to medium. Add 1 tblspn oil and 1 tblspn butter. Combine eggs, sugar, cream and zest. Dip croissants into egg mixure and cook until golden on both sides. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with syrup and whip cream.




There's my syrup on the back burner. Melt butter, add buttermilk and sugar. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add baking soda and vanilla and mix well.



Top with powdered sugar, whip cream, syrup and enjoy!! At this point Daphne said "We are having an Easter Feast!" I agreed :)
By the way, wasn't conference incredible? A feast all on it's own. And the music.... it gave me chills. Loved every minute.



5 comments:

Tara and David said...

ok so that is just devine!!! something that I will have to try...maybe when I am pregnant again and not worrying about my calorie in take!! :)

Tara said...

Oh my gosh that looks so good. If I come and do your hair will you make it for me. By the way, I can't read your blog anymore. The spring weather and festivities make me jealous!:)

Mrs.Spy said...

Holy YUM!!!

Amy said...

Can you please make that for me next time you come this way?! I am drooling now!

Laney said...

Thank you for sharing! This is getting added to my pile of recipes I have to try. It sounds delicious!!