Thursday, July 16, 2015

Laylah's 6th Grade Promotion

 A couple of days before school got out, Laylah had her 6th grade promotion from elementary school. I was head of the decorating committee and we blew up 300 balloons to make a couple balloon arches for the kids to walk through when they came on stage. We had a couple banners on each side of the stage as well, and then we also had taken a photo of each of the kids and had them hashtag a word that described them, and then write a little blurb about themselves and their future aspirations. It was crazy the night before, finishing up the balloons and then up bright and early that day to get to the school and set up. But it turned out perfectly and looked great.




 The program was so, so great. I pretty much cried through the whole thing. The songs and parts went through them going through kindergarten-6th grade and how they've grown up over the years and now they're moving onto junior high. Oh man, it was a tear jerker. They also had some really funny songs that were hilarious.

And then they did a surprise song for Mrs. Haun, Laylah's teacher, since she retired at the end of the year after teaching at the school for 27 years. Serious cryfest. I absolutely adored Mrs. Haun. She was perfect for Laylah.

 And lots of pictures afterwards



 The Three Musketeers, 
Laylah, Katie, and Liberty



 Laylah with Mrs. Weiss (who is actually in our ward and we LOVE her) and Mrs. Haun

And just a few with all of her 6th grade friends



Laylah was planning on going to the junior high closest to our house even though the majority of her friends are going to the other junior high in our district. I let her make that choice on her own (even though I told her I would drive her to the other one that is further away.) But after school got out she talked to me about going to the other junior high. I am not sure if she will be able to get in because she will need a special permit since we are in the boundary for the other school. But I really hope she can get in to where all of her friends are going.

The night after her promotion I was lying in bed and Andy and I were talking about our kids getting older and growing up. I all of the sudden burst into tears and sobbed for a good 10 minutes. (You guys-- I promise I do not just sit and cry all of the time. But this year has been especially tender and hard on me and I have turned in to the biggest baby!) I feel like a certain chapter of our lives is coming to an end. I don't want my kids to change or get any older. I absolutely adore the ages that my kids are right now. I don't want Laylah to be done with elementary school. It terrifies me to have her face junior high and all of the crazy/naughty/scary things that can go on there. I don't want her to become a teenager. And I have to do it all over again next year with Jonah! I guess I was just feeling a little extra sad that night that our lives will be changing a lot over the next few years. Andy reminded me that the next few years will be what we make of it and that a lot of it is about our own attitude. I know that. I just hate change! Take me and my family to Neverland any day, where everything will stay the same and my kids won't grow up.

Anyway, just a few thoughts I wanted to share and keep on file for the day that my kids are all grown up and moved away and I will remember how I really felt about being a young mom and raising five little kids from the ages of 4 to 12. 

For the record--it is the best thing I have ever done and I haven't loved anything more. I love my kids. I love being a mom to all of those little stinkers.

No comments: