Thursday, June 3, 2010

Riding Sleeping Bags Down Stairs=Broken Clavicle

We had SUCH a wonderful, fun, exciting-filled vacation to Utah. We did a ton, saw so many people we love and got to play play play. Here's just one of the "exciting" things that happened...

A couple days after we got there, I had plans to attend the temple for my brother-in-law's fiancee who was going through for the first time. My brother Nate and sister-in-law Annette were watching my kids-they are one of my kids favorite aunt and uncle, so they were very excited to go.

The session was wonderful, it was fun to see my in-laws, and then I went back to pick-up my kids and take them home to bed. When I got there Jonah immediately told me in a sad voice that his shoulder hurt really bad. Annette told me he had gone down the stairs in a sleeping bag, flipped out about halfway down, and landed on his left shoulder at the bottom. Being the loving, caring mother I am, I said "Oh, you'll be alright, we'll get you some tylenol at home." Annette told me he had cried really hard for a bit after it happened, but then he had settled down and watched a movie the rest of the night.

We got home and started getting ready for bed. Jonah reminded me that his shoulder hurt really bad and I said "I know, I'm sorry, hurry and finish getting ready for bed and then I'll get you some tylenol." He then told me that it hurt so bad it hurt from the top of his head all the way down his arm into his fingers. I began to become a little concerned by now because Jonah isn't usually one to continue complaining after he tells me he hurt something. He'll tell me, I give a hug, and it's done. So, anyway, he brushed his teeth and I went to lift him under his armpits so he could spit in the sink. The second I lifted, he began screaming and crying and I immediately became alarmed and set him down and comforted him, apologizing and hugging him. I put the other kids to bed and then called my brother Doug who is a PA at an urgent care. He told me what to do to check around the bone, decided his collarbone was broken and told me to take him to a pediatric urgent care. There is one right by my parents house, but my parents weren't home and I didn't want to take all my other kids who were asleep. I called my grandma who lives really close, but she didn't answer. I decided to ask my parents good friends who live in the ward to come over. They were so nice and did just that.

On the way to the urgent care, I asked Jonah to tell me exactly what had happened. He told me that they had all been sliding down the stairs in sleeping bags and he decided to put his head in at the bottom. He said Annette told him that wasn't very safe and he probably shouldn't do that, but he said he decided to do it anyway and that's when he flipped out halfway down and landed on his shoulder and head. He then told me that he would listen to Annette next time because she had been right-that wasn't very safe! I laughed so hard-Jonah cracks me up.

We made it to the urgent care right before they closed at 10 and were seen right away. The doctor was so nice, but immediately started asking Jonah (not me) how it happened, when it happened, etc. I think she was making sure it wasn't child abuse :) They sent us to the adjoining hospital to get an x-ray...
The x-ray tech was so funny and nice. We got a quick x-ray:

confirming the break (it's that left collarbone that should be straight across, and it's at a peak-yuck)


We went back to see the doctor who said that luckily it wasn't a complete break between the bone, so he wouldn't have to wear a figure 8 wrap which is very uncomfortable and much more limiting. He just has to have a sling with a body wrap to prevent him from using his arm so it can heal. It only has to be worn for 3 weeks, so the last day of school will be the last day he has to wear it. Perfect timing Jonah :) You'll be all ready for summer!

1 comment:

amberkei said...

It hurts me just to think about it! A little boy in our ward just broke his leg in three places and is in a full-body cast. Trenton was telling me he didn't want to break anything like that boy or Jonah. I guess Jonah didn't look too comfortable at the reception! Hope he's better soon!