Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

My cute little stinkers and my whole purpose in life...



I love this day of celebrating Mother's. Mother's are amazing. Now, I don't think I am amazing, but I just love the idea of becoming the kind of mother that the prophet and other general authorities talk about. You know, the kind, quiet, compassionate, forgiving, gentle, always there, always loving and caring, kind of mother. That is my goal. I am so lucky to have so many examples in my life. My mom, mother-in-law, grandmothers, friends, and on the list goes. I know I am not perfect, but I also know I can keep trying. Motherhood is not glamorous, but it is truly divine and a calling from God. Not just anyone can be a mother. A lot of women can have children, but to be mother is special. Someone that your child immedietly looks for when they are frightened, happy, excited, confused, or worried. Mother's are wonderful, and I feel so blessed to have the opportunity of this amazing responsiblity. I love my kids. They are my life.

If ever I wonder about motherhood, or if ever I'm having a hard day and wanting a different kind of life- a life more exciting and a little less messy, I try to think of this story from Bonnie D. Parkin. It has always humbled me and made me remember just what motherhood is all about.

Kristen was finishing a graduate degree and had recently given birth to her second child. She felt the other graduates had accomplished so much more and was reluctant to attend the graduation dinner. Her fears were confirmed when, at the dinner, the students were asked to list their professional accomplishments. Kristen recalled: "I suddenly felt embarrassed and ashamed. I had nothing to call myself, no lofty position, no impressive job title." To make matters worse, the professor read the lists as he presented a diploma to each student. The woman ahead of Kristen had many accomplishments: she already had a PhD, was receiving a second master's degree, and she'd even been a mayor! The woman received grand applause.
Then it was Kristen's turn. She handed the professor her blank sheet as she tried to hold back the tears. The professor had been one of her teachers, and had praised her performance. He looked at her blank paper. Without missing a beat he announced, "Kristen holds the most critical role in all of society." He was quiet for a few seconds, and then declared in a powerful voice, "She is the mother of her children." Instead of a few courteous claps, people rose to their feet. There was just one standing ovation that night; it was for the mother in the room.

Every mother reading this is incredible. You have dedicated your life to your family and your children in teaching and raising them in the way they should go. Hold yourselves high and be proud of what and who you are. Happy Mother's Day.

8 comments:

Ashlie said...

You have such a way with words, I love what you had to say about Mother's. Motherhood is amazing!

Brooke and Jason said...

Thanks Sarah. Sometimes I feel like that women. But, I am really grateful for the opportunity to be a mother.

amberkei said...

Thank you, Sarah. I think Mother's day is to help me remember why I am a mother and how important that is. I hope you had a great day!

Travis and Cristan said...

What a great story. I'll be sure to read that again when I've had a day.
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

The A.Wahls said...

Well said! Even without you saying so, it is very evident by the way you write about them and the things you do with them, how much you love your children and love being a mother!

SamandJasonfamily said...

You inspire me to be a better Mom.

Becca and Brian said...

What a great story I got the chills reading it.

Eric & Laura said...

Sarah,
Thank you for posting this. I really needed to read it today.