Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Happy #9 Laylah!

Laylah turned 9 in May. It was her birthday 3 days after we arrived in Salt Lake. Needless to say, everything was a bit disorganized. I had already purchased all of her birthday presents, but it took me over two hours to find where I had packed one of them. I felt really bad that her day wasn't super awesome, but I guess that's life sometimes, and no better time to learn it than at a young age, am I right?

Anyway, I scrounged up the breakfast of her request: pancakes with bananas and strawberries and whip cream, and then later that day we went to get some slurpies at 7-11. Later that night, my parents took her shopping and to dinner at Chuck-A-Rama, one of Laylah's favorites. Afterwards, they brought her back and  we had ourselves a party!


Andy's mom made her cake since we were still in a bit of a mess at our house. It turned out darling and Laylah loved it.

I love this picture because it is just so Laylah. She loves kids and babies and playing the "mom" role. This is her cousin, Oliver.

With Gma and Gpa Collette, who gave her money and 3 outfits for her American Girl Doll, Kaylah

Trying on one of her gifts, giraffe print shoes

checking out another gift, a book I made for her

This is the one she was waiting for. For some reason, I didn't get a picture of her with it after she opened it, but it is a sewing machine. She has been wanting one for awhile and wanted to learn to sew. Good thing my mother-in-law is an expert seamstress. She gives Laylah lessons once a week and Laylah has learned so much and made some awesome things. She loves it.

With Great Gran Darlene, who gave her money... always a crowd pleaser
  
With Gma Claudia and Papa Bry, who gave her speakers for her i-pod, a new dress, and a new shirt

Our baby girl is growing up so fast!

She also received money from her other grandparents and aunts and uncles. I think she had a good 9th birthday, despite the disarray and craziness of the move. 


Laylah at 9:

What can I say about my Laylah Girl that I haven't said before? Probably nothing. She is just amazing, and I really don't know what I did right to deserve her. She is such a wonderful, helpful, kind, sweet child. She is an amazing big sister and helps out with anything I ask her to. She has such a special spirit about her. Her friend's parents, church teachers, and school teachers are always telling me how wonderful she is. I would say it feels good because it would mean I am a great mom or something, but I really don't do anything out of the ordinary. She does it all on her own. She is compassionate and sweet and has a special spirit about her. I am so thankful for her.

That being said, I would like to say that nobody is perfect, of course :) Laylah reminds me so much of me that it is scary sometimes. She has a quick temper, and if she is not in a good mood or overly tired, she gets upset quickly, either losing her temper, or dissolving into tears over a trivial matter. It is fairly easy to calm her down, but sometimes I have a hard time not laughing when she yells at a sibling or the dog or something. She sounds just like me. Scary :)

Laylah is an excellent student. She gets straight A's for the most part, and she loves to learn. She memorized all of the Articles of Faith last year, and she really enjoys Activity Days. She still takes piano lessons and has improved so much. She has continued to play soccer and has become quite good. She also takes sewing lessons from her grandma, and riding lessons from her Aunt Kaylie. She loves horses, loves to read, loves to be with her friends, and loves to shop. She is also in the choir at school and loves to sing and dance at home. She likes to put on "shows" for us, and I make the boys sit through it :) She wants to play the flute someday, but with all of the activities this girl is in, we don't have a spare minute! Maybe someday.

Laylah loves to eat. She also loves to help me in the kitchen. She is not picky at all and eats anything and everything. She will try any food you put in front of her, and usually loves it. Her favorite food is... probably soup, any kind. She is also very complimentary and always telling me what a good cook I am. She is 4'9'' and weighs about 72 pounds, tall and skinny. She wears a size 7 women's shoe, and I am pretty excited for when she is an 8 1/2 so that we can share :)

Happy Birthday my sweet girl! You are very loved.

No comments: