Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Our Little Adventure

We went to Moab to visit Andy's sister Stefanie and her family (Savanna, Alaunna, and the cutest baby ever, Braxton) for conference weekend. We knew it would be a short little trip, and we knew we would be watching conference for most of it, but Andy just got a new gun and he wanted to go shooting with our bro-in-law Travis (who is a highway patrol officer, and has a bunch of guns) and I thought it would be fun to go on some fun little hikes with the kids, have a picnic, etc. Well, bad weather has been my constant companion on my last three trips out of town. I don't know what it is- bad luck I guess! Watch out Vegas, you're next!
Anyway, it snowed!! In Moab! In April!! Trav and Stef were flabbergasted, it had been in the 80's only a couple weeks ago. So, we were stuck inside for most the trip, but the cousins still had so much fun playing, and we did make it to the park for a bit, but after half of our kids got hurt- cut finger, huge knot on the head, split lip-, we headed home. It was also freezing!! I didn't get a lot of pics, although I sent Andy with the camera when he went shooting so he could show off his skills, but he claims he forgot to even pull the camera out. Ya, right :)
A few funny, and not so funny things happened though. We drove there Friday afternoon, and up Spanish Fork canyon, there was a huge snowstorm. The scariest thing that has ever happened to me was that day. We came oh so close to getting in a huge car wreck, and I'm still in shock that we didn't. Our huge SUV began spinning out of control at the top of the hill, and we started to slide into oncoming traffic. At the last second, our car jerked the opposite way (Andy claims he saw the angels pushing us the other way :) And then we spun backwards, facing the way we had been driving. Pulled over to the side of the road was a big truck pulling a trailer with a jeep on it (It was Jeep Safari weekend in Moab) and it came closer and closer. I squeezed my eyes shut and braced myself for the impact, all the while thinking of my four darling children in the back and praying. We slid to a stop. I open my eyes and look out my window. We are about six inches away from the truck, and on the other side is a huge drop off. Wow. I start bawling and turn to check on my kids. Wish I had a picture. All four of them are wide eyed with their mouths gaping open. And Jonah says "Why did dad spin us around like that?" Andy's trying to calm me (he's always cool as a cucumber, in any situation), and I'm shaking like crazy. It was really scary. But after that, we made it in one piece :)
Later that night, after the kids were in bed, the adults stayed up way to late laughing, joking and having so much fun. After we went to bed at about 1:00 AM, at four in the morning I hear giggling and little feet running around. I go into the kids room and all the kids are awake and playing. I tell them nicely to stop it and go back to sleep because it is the middle of the night. They were quiet for a few minutes, and then louder than before. I go talk to them again, nicely. The third time, I wasn't so nice and dragged my kids out to sleep on the couches. Little stinks. At least they all took great naps the next day ;)
The last thing was, half of the kids got sick. I hate that. I guess that's what happens when two families come together and all the germs get swapped. Oh well, it was still so much fun and we had a great time. Especially the kids, they love their cousins! Our trip home was sunny and beautiful, of course. Thanks Stef and Trav, for a fun weekend!


This park we went to was so much fun. It was gorgeous, had a huge river, and these giant instruments to play with. It also had playground equipment of course. It was fun until everyone got hurt :)

3 comments:

Travis and Cristan said...

I HATE crapy weather- it seems to ruin all fun! I am glad you are safe. I had something like that happen and I just know Cam was there with me- So, maybe one of your grandpas were watching out for you:)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun trip except for the near death experience! You know that the Lord was definately looking out for your family on that one! What a blessing!

Becca and Brian said...

I'm glad you made it safe after that scary spinning event. I think I would have peed my pants! That park looks like a lot of fun, to bad the kids got sick. I hope Laylah is feeling better!